Freezing services: Egg Freezing, Sperm Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Ovarian Freezing and Testicular Freezing.
Egg freezing, otherwise known as oocyte cryopreservation, is the process by which a woman’s eggs can be frozen and stored for later use. The process involves removing the eggs from the ovaries, and selecting all mature eggs which are then frozen using the vitrification technique. When ready to pursue pregnancy these eggs can be warmed,
combined with sperm and the developing embryo(s) placed in the womb.
Here are some reasons why a woman may choose to freeze her eggs:
- 1. Prior to undergoing medical treatments, for example,
- chemotherapy or radiotherapy to avoid damage to the
- 2. Delayed childbearing for career reasons or
- because she has no current partner.
- 3. Family history of a condition that may affect fertility such as a premature ovarian failure.
- 4. Ethical reasons that lead to the choice to freeze surplus eggs rather than embryos.
Egg freezing has been shown to be a very effective method to preserve fertility and has resulted in many healthy baandbies.
At HWFMU, we utilize the most modern successful procedures for our egg freezing program. If you are interested in freezing your eggs please contact us.
Cryopreservation of sperm is a routine procedure in assisted reproductive technologies laboratories. There are several reasons why a man may choose to freeze his sperm:
- Preserve fertility prior to undergoing medical treatment that can affect sperm quality such as chemotherapy or vasectomy
- He may be traveling at the time of his partner’s IVF procedure
- He may have a history of problems producing
Freezing embryos is a very critical component of an IVF programme. The main reasons why embryos are frozen are:
- Multiple embryos may fertilize but only few can be transferred, hence surplus embryos can be frozen
- Due to complications (poor lining, hyperstimulation etc.) embryos are frozen and transferred at a later date.
- Awaiting results from preimplantation genetic testing (PGT). Once results are received, normal embryos can be thawed and transferred.